A Day in the Life with a Ten Month Old

by Katie on August 2, 2012

in Audrey

Good morning friends!  The last time I did a day in the life post, Audrey was only 3.5 months old- so tiny!  Needless to say, a lot has changed since then!  Here is a typical day in our life :D

4:50 AM- wakeup call!  Audrey wakes up once a night to nurse, generally between 4-5:30 AM.  In the next month or two I am going to try to wean her from this habit.  I’m not really sure how to go about doing it- I need to read up on it!

5:10 AM- back to sleep!  Audrey goes back down and I collapse into bed.  I debate just staying up and doing things around the house and tell myself to stop being foolish.

6:40 AM- I think I hear Audrey stirring so I get up, let Bailey down off the bed, brush my teeth, bring the cloth diapers to the washer, start my coffee and get Brian’s lunch together (I try to do this if Audrey wakes up happy/babble-y instead of screamy :) )

6:55 AM- the princess has risen!  I walk into Audrey’s room to find a smiley, happy baby standing up banging on her crib railing.  So cute.

7:00-7:40 AM- play time!  I change her diaper and then Audrey plays, first on the floor and then in her jumper once she starts terrorizing playing with Bailey.  It seems like her newest mission in life is to GET BAILEY which doesn’t bode well when he is a delicate four pound diva.

Mmm, puzzle.

She makes the cutest little squishy face when she is super happy (I used to do that when I was little and I mayyy still do it if I’ve had a few glasses of wine)-




7:40-8:25 AM- breakfast time!  Audrey chills in her high chair and eats cheerios (thank god for cheerios) while I prepare our breakfasts- yogurt and oatmeal with cherries for her, waffles with greek yogurt for me.  She is in this stage where she is starting to refuse to eat from the spoon, which makes it hard when the food involved is yogurt.  I distract her with a drink of water and some of my waffle and get her to finish her yogurt :) .  I clean up the kitchen and run the cloth diaper wash again before getting her out of her high chair to play.

Serious yogurt face-

8:30-8:55- more playtime.  Her new thing is to pull up between the pack n play and bouncer and dance.  So cute.

8:55-9:10- change diaper/nurse.  Her nursing sessions during the day have gotten a lot shorter!

9:10-9:30- get dressed for the day.  First I put Audrey in her child containment device walker and I get ready, then I dress her and fix her hair.

Ready to get going!

First I must get your coffee.

Are we leaving or can I dance all day?

9:30-11:20-we venture out for our first outing of the day- story time at a local independent book store!  The owner is super friendly and Audrey loves to see all of her little friends.  I like to go because I see a bunch of my mom friends and have some adult interaction :) She sat and listened to the book for a little bit and mostly spent her time pulling herself around the shelves.  We had a diaper change at the bookstore since she wet through her cloth diaper- first time that is happened in a long time!  Must be all of the water she had with breakfast. I stopped to get gas and as I drove away I looked in my side mirror and realized I left the gas door open.  This is not the first time this has happened since having Audrey.  Oops :p

Story time :)

11:20-12:00- lunch time!  Audrey plays in her walker while I make her lunch- whole wheat pasta with organic tomato basil sauce and goat cheese.  It is her first time having pasta and she loves it!   A girl after her mama’s heart :D  I eat a bowl of pasta while feeding her.

Yay pasta!

12:00-12:15- I change her diaper then we head to her room so she can crawl around and look at her books before nap time.  Her naps have been absolutely treacherous lately (on Monday she was awake from 5:30 AM until 7:00 PM) so I’m hoping the shift to one nap will help her sleep longer.

12:15-12:30- I nurse her and put her down for a nap.  There are no tears, hooray!  I’m hopeful that she will take a decent nap.

12:30-1:20- I scramble around to get things done while she naps- hang up cloth diapers, sweep the kitchen floor, clean up from lunch and start to prep dinner (turkey quinoa loaf again).  I’m in the midst of prepping dinner when I hear the monitor.  A measly fifty minute nap!  Ah well, better than Monday, right?

1:20-2:00- I keep Audrey entertained with mum mums while I finish prepping dinner.  I change her diaper and get her dressed and we head out to Target to pick up a few items.

2:00-3:05- Target trip!  Audrey loves to sit in the shopping cart.  I had to pick up some thank you cards and food pouches for Audrey- she and I are taking a girls trip soon for a night and homegirl has to have some food!  And some cheerios.  Yay Cheerios.

3:05-415- Back home.  Normally I would try to put her down for another nap since her last one was so short but she has been fighting them so hard the past two weeks.  Before that I could get at least two one hour naps out of her.  I’m thinking the earlier nap is the only one we will have so we play for awhile.  She checks out an amazon box, chases Bailey and plays with me in the living room.

You know she’s tired when she takes a break from playing to rest her head on my leg.

4:15-4:30- Diaper change and nursing.  Her fourth nursing session of the day.

4:30-4:50- she chills in the kitchen eating mum mums while I finish prepping dinner. I catch her sneaking mum mums to Bailey a few times- so stinkin’ cute!

Dinner prep.


Thank goodness for walkers.

What, I wasn’t giving him a mum mum-

4:50-5:20- more playtime!

5:20-6:00- Audrey’s dinner time.  I heat up brown rice and sauteed zucchini for her- she eats whatever doesn’t end up on the floor!  For dessert she has blueberries and bananas.

Baby dinner.

6:00-6:30 grown up dinner is ready!  I take the okra out of the oven, leave the turkey in to warm (for when Brian gets home) and clean Audrey up- she seems to have inherited my childhood tendency to have rice attacks ;)  Afterwards we play in the playroom, where she goes back and forth between her zany zoo and her light up table.

6:30-7:00ish- bedtime routine time!  Every night around 6:30 (sometimes later if she naps well during the day, which doesn’t happen very often), she has bath time (which she is currently loving- there were around two weeks there where she hated getting water in her eyes and it made bath time pretty hairy), story time and then she nurses before bed.

My little bear.

7:20-8:45-  Audrey finishes nursing and I head downstairs.  Today is an off day working out wise so I have time to eat dinner and clean up- if it’s a crossfit day I’m usually rushing around to get changed and get things cleaned up.  I take care of Audrey’s cloth diapers, eat dinner and put aside a plate for Brian (he was working late), put leftovers away, wipe down the kitchen counters and do my normal nightly tasks- sweep the kitchen and living room/entry way, wipe down the bathroom sinks, put away Audrey’s toys and fold and put away laundry.  I find if I do those things every night the house stays a little neater!

8:00- Brian comes home!  We decide we need cookies so he goes out and comes home with a cookie cake.  Works for me :D

8:45-10:45 I sit down to relax- watch the Olympics, type up this post, look at first birthday invites for Audrey, create a fantasy football league and go through the circulars that came in the mail.  Typing this up took longer than I thought it would- first birthday invites (what!) and couponing (kind of) will have to wait until another day!  Damn, I need to get to bed earlier.

4:40 AM- I hear the familiar call over her baby monitor.  Time to start the day!

So, there is a pretty typical day for us.  We meet up with my mom friends once a day usually (after this post is published this morning we are going to have breakfast and then go to my friend’s pool) and maybe an errand a day.  It is good to get out and about!  When it is cooler out we go for jogs in the morning and lots of walks during the day.  During her nap time I planned on cleaning a bit more and making fruit purees for her yogurt, but one fifty minute nap didn’t give me much time.  Today it is back to two naps- we shall see how it works out!

By the numbers-

  • diaper changes- 7 (3 had presents)
  • nursing sessions- 5
  • meals- 3
  • outfits-2
  • spit up- 0 (quite the change from the three month post!
  • Shrieks of joy- lots
  • Shrieks of drama- lots (fun new stage, ha)
So there you have it!   What is a typical day like for you?
Have a good one, friends!



{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

1 healthy ashley August 2, 2012 at 11:55 am

I loved this post!! Audrey is beautiful!


2 Katie August 3, 2012 at 1:57 am

Aw, thank you :)


3 Kelly @ Runmarun August 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm

She is so cute! I love the photo of the two of you before you run errands. And I’ve got to say…you are a machine! One fifty minute nap and you are still smiling at the end of the day? Kudos to you! I think it’s great that you take her to so many different places during the day. Does she ever sleep in the car? Good luck today with naps…I am hoping for a decent morning nap today but who knows what will happen!


4 Katie August 2, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Aw thank you! She does sometimes sleep in the car- usually after her Little Gym class when she is exhausted. I’m hoping she will sleep on our drive to Atlanta- we drove to New York (from SC, crazy) when she was six months old (stopping in Virginia) and she was an AWESOME car traveler.

Today has been one half hour nap so far. In addition to her top two teeth (about halfway through), she has the teeth on each side poking through and another on the top just about to poke through. So let’s blame teething. :)


5 Wendy Irene August 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Did you know they banned walkers in Canada? So naturally I went to the States and bought one and brought it back to Canada with me :) I guess lots of kids go down the stairs which is scary but I blocked mine off really well.
I loved seeing A in her basket of toys. It brings back memories. She is just so cute in her little pig tails. Have a great day, girls!


6 Katie August 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I have heard that from some of my Canadian friends- I can certainly understand why- one of those things going down a flight of stairs would be awful! She doesn’t go more than a foot or two in it (and the stairs are on the other side of the house) so I am comfortable using it :) Have a great day Wendy!


7 Erika August 2, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Never a dull moment!

My baby is about to turn 1!!! Not ready for that yet.

He also would wake 4:30-5:30 for a feeding session and go back to sleep until 7-8. At 10-1/2 months I cut out that feeding. I just let him cry it out (he only cried 10 minutes at the longest) and within 5 days he stopped waking at all and now sleeps until 7-8 even without that feeding.


8 Katie August 3, 2012 at 1:58 am

Definitely never a dull moment :)

Thanks for your insight- I think that is what I am going to have to do. I’m hoping A transitions as well as your little guy!


9 Kara August 3, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I love this post. It is so fun to see what you are doing. Isn’t awesome to start cooking dinner at 12:30?? I do the exact same thing. My table is usually set by 1:30! Gotta love our new life. A is getting cuter and cuter.


10 The Linz August 7, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Awww…i loved reading this post! She is absolutely adorable. And those little pig tails warm my heart! :) A day in my life does not seem nearly as exciting as yours, ha ha! This just goes to show you that there are enough hours in the day to do it all!


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: